Apr 21, 2010

Second Draft Progress

I haven't started editing yet, but I've gotten a bit of feedback on the first draft and I have to say I'm incredibly pleased I handed a few copies around to be read. It's great to get outside perspectives on the book, and see where I haven't quite managed to get across what I intended. I think the couple of changes I've already decided on will tighten up the narrative very well, and I can't wait to find out how else I can improve things.

I was also given an idea by an old friend for a background element that will add a lot of depth and direction to my hero, so cheers for that!

A few years ago, I definitely couldn't have done this. Before, I would have only wanted to hear positive reports and would have become very defensive if suggestions like this came to me. It's taken me until now to have the maturity as a writer to accept this stage as the part where I have to work to make this thing as good as it can be.

6 comments:

  1. It's a huge step as a writer to do this. Congratulations and I hope this helps you grow by leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's a great feeling to be so open to comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. It's nice to meet you. I found you through my friend Karen G's Coming Down the Mountain. Her first two books were published by WiDo. My novel will be published by them also, tentatively scheduled for this summer. I got into Blogger less than two weeks ago, and it's awesome. Have met so many nice people, writers like you about to seek out an agent/ publisher; writers who are in the process of writing a book; writers who have contracts or have already published; writers who want to make connections. It's a great world out there. I'm on your list of followers. I hope you'll look me up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne! Thanks, I've added myself to follow your blog and I can't wait to read more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete