May 27, 2011

Getting In The Groove

I think I'm getting my writing groove back. Yesterday I managed to write 1,700 words, the closest to my actual target of 2,000 words a day I've managed yet on my current WIP.

I first set my target of 2,000 words a day when working on my first book and I managed to stick to it pretty faithfully on the days when I was writing. This time though I've had a tough time getting back into the groove. It's frustrating, knowing I can produce so much, but still falling short. I try not to let it get to me, though. I just knuckle down and write what I can manage.

As always, music has been my companion through this. I think closer to my first book's release date I'll do one of those playlist post series and share the music that has helped inspire me and keep me going. It's the music that makes me feel like the story is a real, living thing, making me feel like I need to do something, anything, to get the story out or my chest will burst.

If there's any one thing that has helped me get back into the groove, it's persistently filling my head with music and thoughts about the next book. I make myself so excited about the story that I can't wait to tell it to people. Then, instead of telling people, I write it down. It's like the ability to share the story when it's done is part of my reward for getting it written.

Does anyone else have particular tricks they use to get into their groove?

12 comments:

  1. Sadly not - though I think this stems from the fact I haven't until recently (this week in fact!) felt the excitement you hold for your WIP. Now I am it's a case of knuckling down too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you've got the excitement going for your WIP! It's such a good feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great, Karen. So peaceful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2000 words a day is a nice goal. I haven't set a word goal, I'm just happy for productive days - more researching and writing and less housecleaning and eating.

    Lately my grove has come at night, maybe because it is very quiet since everyone else is asleep. Not good for someone with kids that don't sleep late and a morning job. But I'll take it when I can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my current attitude, Halli. I take what writing time I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have my goal set to 2000 words. Some days I achieve it and some I've fallen short so I can understand the struggle you're going through.

    Music helps me a whole lot as well. I especially like taking a drive and turning the music up. The solitude of the car and the songs help me visualize the scene I am working on. Tehn it's back home and to my laptop where I work to put that scene into words, while still listening to music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same thing, but while walking home from the train after work. I use the time to go over important scenes in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great amount of words - well down! My writing is always percolating in the back of my mind, but when I am actually going to sit down and write, 15 minutes of sitting quietly in meditation is amazingly helpful. I also will use Stephen King's advice, which is to sit quietly with eyes closed and start "seeing" the scene and stay there until you see it and hear it and smell it and taste it. That's how he got such visual detail into his writing. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul,

    I found my way over here via Karen Walker's blog.

    Already this post has set my bonnet straight and will help me redirect my energies and be more productive.

    I look forward to taking a look around your site.

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa: Sounds like a great technique. I'm very visual in how I work as well. I like to see the scenes as a movie in my head before I write them down. That's why music helps me so much.

    Jenny: Hi, welcome! I've hopped over to your blog and followed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try not to think about it too much. I just sit down and do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I try to do that. It's typically when I have a bit of a block or I'm not actually writing that it gets to me.

    ReplyDelete