Oct 16, 2012

Locked Within Soundtrack: Locked Within The Crystal Ball


Today I've got the first track from the collection of music I used as my soundtrack while writing Locked Within.

This song, "Locked Within The Crystal Ball," is by Blackmore's Night, a folk rock group headed by Ritchie Blackmore, formerly of Deep Purple and Rainbow, and his wife Candice Night. As you may have guessed from the name of the song, this is where I got my inspiration for the title Locked Within.

It was actually the following verse that caused the song to first strike a chord with me:

Fire and water, earth and sky
Mysteries surround us, legends never die

Apart from Candice Night's powerful vocals, the words resonated with me. The invocation of the four classical elements, prominent in most occult beliefs and the use of magic in the book. The suggestion of the unknown, and the immortal nature of the song's subject. The idea that those the singer is telling us about will never die. That fit so well with my idea of Nathan Shepherd as this reborn hero who had fought for good time and again. The more I listened, the more the words matched what I had in mind, not necessarily for the plot of the book itself, but for what it means that Nathan is regaining the memory of who he used to be.

At the time I had this idea that I would take the title of every book in the series from a song, and decided this would be the right one for the first book. The more I wrote, however, the more I realised that the title reflected the story in more ways than I'd first intended.

Of course, you'll have to read the book to know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment