Sep 16, 2013

Silent Oath Soundtrack: Santa Fe

I love westerns. I can't get enough of the pseudo-mythological themes to most of the best westerns, the idea of the West as this last bastion of heroes and legend. While not to everyone's tastes, two of my favourites are Young Guns and Young Guns II. The soundtrack album for the second movie was put together by Jon Bon Jovi.


The songs on the Blaze of Glory album where some of the first to tear into my heart as a child. Perhaps because of my love for the movies. Perhaps because of the stunning lyrics. Either way, they have a special place in my heart.

In particular, this song, Santa Fe, tells of a gunslinger looking back at his sins and resigning himself to either damnation, giving one last plea to his maker, not for forgiveness, but to be allowed to live, since he sees his only choices are to go to Hell or live forever.

I'll leave you to discover how this song relates to Nathan, as he deals his nemesis, and remembers the things he has seen and suffered in a newly-remembered lifetime; his most recent life before his current incarnation.

4 comments:

  1. I also love Westerns, and wish they'd get around to making some good ones again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best westerns I've seen recently are the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, and Cowboys and Aliens. :-p

      Delete
  2. I remember these films...good stuff. Excited for you for your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I have most things in order, just a few special posts for the 18th, and finalising things for the book launch. That last one makes me nervous because of the difficulties I had last year.

      Delete