Nov 25, 2011

Being Thankful

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. Even though I'm Irish, I think Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday. People need to take the time to be thankful for the things in their life.

It's been a rough year. A damn rough year. But I think I'll talk about that some other day.

It has also been a good year in many ways. I've watched friends get married, have babies, start new relationships, take on new challenges, follow old dreams and discover new ones. I've seen friends rally around my wife and I. I've felt the thrill of signing a contract for my first novel to be published. I've learned that my wife and I can go through hell and come out still standing.

I am thankful for all of these things. For all of you who read my blog or follow me on Facebook or Twitter. For every comment I get. Every word of advice and support I've received as I carry on my writing journey. For every friend who just said "what do you need?"

It's good to be thankful, to see the things that are good in life and embrace them. It's good to hug a friend and tell them you love them. Or pass on a favour or good deed. We can make the world such a beautiful place just by taking small steps in our own little corner, and helping others be thankful.

So go do it.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Paul. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this thoughtful post, Paul. And for reminding us of the importance of remembering our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I always love reading your words. I feel the same - a year of sadness and loss in many ways, and yet good things have happened too. Yin and Yang. I am grateful for life and love and friends. Thankful for writers with beautiful words that move us and bring us all together as humans. Like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth: I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

    Melissa: Thank you. I'm looking forward to next year. Next year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul,

    I was thinking along the same lines. It would be nice if we had a Thanksgiving in Ireland. Until we do, I will start my own!

    Onwards
    Michelle Moloney King

    ReplyDelete