Apr 9, 2013

First Writing Workshop

Last night I gave my first writing workshop with the English Literary Society in UCD. I love any opportunity to visit my old college, and doing so to work with aspiring authors felt great.

Things certainly have changed around the campus. New buildings, better facilities. The new student center feels more like a corporate convention center, it's that fancy. It even has a cinema.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only were the workshop attendees really interested in what I had to say about writing in fantasy and science fiction, but also that they were more than happy to come up with ideas at a moment's notice and share their own work.

I learned a lot from last night that I'll keep in mind if I'm ever invited to do something similar again. Primarily regarding timekeeping. We did run over time a little, but we also covered a lot of ground on a range of topics. Next time, I think I'll try and cut down on the amounts of topics and try to get more in-depth work and discussion on those I do include.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed meeting people with such a strong interest in writing Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

Thanks again to the ELS for having me. I wish each of you every success in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! Glad to hear you had the chance to do this.

    ReplyDelete